Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Why planning is an important part of web design


It's happened to me more than once. I spend a certain amount of time with a prospect trying to determine what it is they're looking for, email gets bounced back and forth, perhaps a phone call or two are exchanged, research time is spent in the process, and I think we're making good headway.

Then, nothing...

I wait a little while -- fully understanding that people get busy -- and then I follow-up to see where they're at. Sometimes I hear that the project is on the back burner; other times, I'm asked to follow-up again in a few weeks, because they've gotten busy with a different project; or I'm told of their frustration for having wasted their time and that they've moved on to a different developer.

Do I get offended?

No. Because more often than not, down the road I hear from that person again. They tell me that their project is stalled, the developer has stopped returning their phone calls, and can we help them get their project completed.

Over the years, we have done hundreds of website projects -- most successful, some not. What I have found is the unsuccessful ones, we skipped the planning process. We didn't take the necesssary time to iron out details, establish requirements, set realistic deadlines, etc. In the end, it's been a lose-lose for both parties.

Consider this:

If you were going to undertake the construction of your dream home, would you scribble a quick email and send it to an architect and ask for an estimate? No, you would collaborate with the architect to ensure all of the options and features you want in your new home are considered, and you would go through the planning process to figure it out together, so that the house you're dreaming about becomes your reality and is constructed within your budget.

The same holds true for a website.

A lot of time and energy -- as well as money -- goes into the development of a successful website, so please don't skip the planning process, because taking the time to plan is a very important part of web design.

If you meet with a consultant who cares enough about you that they want to make sure they're a good fit for them (and vice versa) and that they fully understand your needs and desires, consider yourself lucky, because a lot of developers out there will just give you that estimate.

Believe me, I've been on both sides of the table. I try to treat my clients the same way I expect others to treat me when I'm the client. And when both sides hear each other, the chances for a successful business relationship are greater.

If you're in the market for a new website or a redesign of your existing one, be sure to read this article to save yourself frustration and headaches down the road.

8 great questions to answer before starting a web design project

No comments:

Post a Comment